Sanok (32,000 inhabitants) on the river San is the only big town in the Bieszczady area. In Sanok, there is a 16th century castle subsequently expanded in the early 19th century, today given over to a museum with Poland’s largest collection of icons. Quite remarkable is the characteristic wooden architecture of the region. A late Gothic church and the 14th century castle are of interest in Lesko. The Regional Museum has been installed in the former synagogue. The Bieszczady Loop – a circular road built in the 60s – cuts through the scenic countryside joining Lesko with the town of Ustrzyki Górne situated at the foot of Mt Tarnica (1346 m). In the southern part of the Bieszczady is Majdan – a starting point of a historical narrow- gauge train running through the scenic mountain valleys.