The Podkarpacie Region
In Rzeszów (160,000 inhabitants) a couple of interesting pieces of the 18th and 19th century architecture stand till today. The parish church dates from the 15th century and the early 17th century Bernardine monastery has sumptuous Baroque interiors. Two synagogues stand east of the town square, one housing an exhibition, the other an archive. The city also has a castle renovated in 19th century opened to visitors. North-east of Rzeszów, the Bernardine monastery in Leżajsk is home to the famous organ dating from 1693, complete with its 5,900 organ-pipes. The 17th century monastery is a work of an Italian master Pellaccini. In Łańcut, to the east of Rzeszów, stands one of the country’s most important magnate residences. The two-storey construction with a courtyard was built in the late 16th century and the magnificent park in the 17th . Its interiors are lavishly furnished and decorated with paintings. Among the buildings in the park are the orangery and a Romantic little castle. The old stable and coach-house buildings are given over to the museum of carriages, containing one of the most exquisite collections of carriages and stagecoaches.